Thursday 3 February 2011

Coppull Mill - 3/2/2011











I was really disappointed when our Coppull Mill match was called off last Sunday as I was looking forward to giving it a crack after hearing so much about it but also to test out some new floats Nick Gilbert had sent me after I asked for some heavy floats. So having realised I had some flexi leave at work, decided to take the afternoon off and get in a couple of hours.

I arrived at around 12:45 and was surprised to see 5 men already fishing as it wasn't the warmest of days. A quick call to Breamcatcher to figure out where to fish pointed me in the direction of the car park bank (left on pic) or the right hand bank (bottom of picture) - and that this was the favoured bank. Seeing as this bank he guys fishing every other peg, I didn't want to go between them so picked the second peg from the corner as indicated by the red dot above. 

I decided to set up 3 lines for fishing 2 swims - a 10 o'clock 13.5m line dead depth with the NG 2g float feeding caster and pellet, a 2 o'clock 13.5m line dead depth with the NG 1.5g float feeding maggot and caster and a 0.6g 6' Drennan Roach float for fishing shallow (4' - 6') over both lines. I began by cupping in a few 4mm pellets and a couple of pre soaked 4mm expanders in original and dyed white with Sensas Tracix for hookbait offerings on the 10 o'clock line. I then cupped in some maggots and casters on the 2 o'clock line and began to set up.

I decided to fish the 2 o'clock line first. A single red maggot was baited and I had to wait 30 seconds for the first bite which turned out to be a nice perch of around 8oz - would love a net full of them on Sunday along with a few carp!!! Fish then came steady for the next 15 minutes with a fish a chuck before Breamcatcher himself arrived for a chat - at which point bites slowed off a little...coincidence?? Anyway I plugged away and tried a caster to no avail before getting a few small roach. After an hour and a half on the 2 o'clock line I decided to switch to the pellet line and gave it 45 minutes trying caster, white pellet, brown pellet, half a pellet and didn't get a touch.

Time for visitor 2 as my Granddad arrived on his way home from Southport (the logical way obviously - Southport to Wigan via Coppull) bless him. I had switched back to the maggot line again and was getting a few nice roach and the odd perch. Then bites dried up completely. The weather had changed from blue sky and calm to grey and quite windy and as 4 o'clock approached i thought about wrapping up before I tried a red/white maggot cocktail top and tailing the maggots. Immediately I hooked a lovely perch of around 10oz with a throat crammed with maggots (I was putting a cad pot of maggots in every put in). The next 7 put in's between 4 and half past brought me 7 fish on double maggot with not one of them below 8oz - if only I'd switched baits sooner!!!

Anyway, a nice way to round off the afternoon and much better than spending a Thursday in work!


No comments:

Post a Comment